Hi I’m Kiara! My four passions in life – Travel, Writing, Photography, and Music. In my blog I hope to share my travel experiences with you using the medias of writing, photography and music. After all, countries and cities and cultures are a mixture of all these things…of words and images, and sounds, and flavours. I’ve travelled solo around South-east Asia, I’ve skydived in New Zealand, bathed elephants in Thailand, paddled a little wooden dugout down the Nam Ou river in Laos, trekked the beautiful rice terraces of Sapa in Vietnam, walked the Great Wall of China, ridden a camel through the Sahara – in the rain, taken a hot air balloon flight over the surreal volcanic landscape of Cappadocia, Turkey, cycled the Adriatic coast from Venice to Porec (Croatia), experienced the crazy, colourful streets of Delhi, island-hopped in Japan, walked every inch of the pretty little Greek island of Paxos…and those are just the highlights! Whenever I have the money and time to do so, I’m continually adding to those experiences….I got bitten by the travel bug a long time ago!
I starting travel blogging when I took my solo trip around south-east Asia in 2006.
You can view the tales from my trip here
Travelling alone allows you a lot of time to think, to ponder, to reflect, to consider, to assess, and to write about your experiences. I wrote posts every two or three days, because when you travel so much seems to happen so quickly, and writing about it all kept it alive for me, kept the memories lodged in my head. Back then social media wasn’t what it is now (I didn’t even have a Facebook account, and am not even sure Facebook existed??), so I wrote simply to keep friends and family up-to-date with my latest adventures. Now I’d like to be able to explore the realms of travel blogging a little further. I’ve had my fair share of mishaps along the way…including an awkward situation with a very ‘aroused’ monk in Laos, a drive-by thief on a motorbike in Cambodia, and a wild monkey attack in Thailand, but they’re all part of the rich tapestry that we call travel. What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger, so they say! and I have no intention of giving that up anytime soon. To conclude, here’s a few random facts about me and my travels…
- My first trip abroad was to Denmark when I was 11 years old. I took and passed my Legoland driving test, even though I didn’t manage to figure out that in order for the brakes to work, you had to take your foot off the accelerator pedal. I like lego now more than I like driving!
- I cycled the entire stretch of the Adriatic coast from Venice to Porec (northern Croatia) in 8 days even though I’d not done any training, and the only bicycle I’ve ever owned in my adult life is an old BMX which I bought second-hand for about £40!
- My favourite country (so far!) is Thailand, and it’s one that I’d go back to time and time again. Thai is also my favourite cuisine…both for savoury and sweet. My favourite dessert of all time (and I’m not normally a dessert person) is Mango, sticky rice & coconut milk. Totally and utterly divine!
- Wherever I travel to I will always try to come back with a photograph of a cat or a lizard or a monkey…or preferably all three!
- I skydived over Fox Glacier in New Zealand, and to this day I still don’t know just how I plucked up the courage to do so.